Joe has 13 years’ experience working in the financial services industry. Prior to joining Grant Thornton he worked for Davy’s Wealth Management business. During this time there, he was one of the early developers of their retail execution platform. Since joining Grant Thornton, Joe has held a number of different Risk Management positions across various client types including Retail Banks, Global Stock Exchanges and a number of Asset Managers.
Over the course of his career, Joe has spent the majority of his time working with large financial institutions in the areas of client on boarding, client transactions, wealth management, KYC refresh and transaction monitoring. This breath of experience has given him a broad understanding of the financial services environment with particular focus on, governance, risk and compliance.
- AML KYC Refresh Lead – Global Investment Bank – Joe set up and managed a team to remediate a large book of complex international investors within an Alternatives Business Unit. His understanding of KYC nuances in different jurisdictions allowed his team to deliver results in all geographical areas. Other relevant tasks involved establishing governance structures, documenting agreed processes, reporting to senior management, establishing a client outreach plan and acting as an escalation point for complex cases. Joe also lead the Future State Programme through building out robust long term process and system changes to ensure the business was regulatory compliant into the future.
- Transaction Monitoring Manager, Irish Retail Bank – Joe was seconded to an Irish retail bank in June 2021 to manage the Transaction Monitoring team within the first line of defence. The purpose of this role was to ensure that robust Transaction Monitoring was taking place across a number of different product lines within the bank. The role also involved working closely with the second line in the creation of suspicious activity reports. During his time there, Joe introduced a number of changes to the monitoring process leading to the reviews being closer aligned to the overall risk appetite within the bank.
- AML KYC Refresh - Global Exchange / International Investment Bank – Joe has overseen a number of AML KYC remediation exercises for Grant Thornton’s international client base. These engagements require the ability to manage a team of investigators, delegate work appropriately and provide oversight and QA at the backend of the review. Throughout the engagement, there was daily client engagement where MI was presented and escalations discussed.
- Certified Anti Money Laundering specialist (ACAMS)
- Masters in Management Consultancy from University College Dublin
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree from University College Dublin
- Certified Financial Planner CFP®
- Professional Diploma; Consumer Protection Risk, Culture & Ethical Behaviour (Institute of Bankers Ireland)