We use our expertise and unique and in-depth methodology to undertake business valuations to help clients meet strategic goals.
Whether you are selling or buying a business, looking to meet your tax obligations or bringing your business public – even if you are seeking a key piece of evidence in a dispute – knowing your business or asset’s value is a crucial step.
Valuations are key to an organisation’s strategic goals and ambitions. Get it wrong and transparency is undermined, reputations are damaged, transactions or strategic plans can fall over, and real value goes down. A robust and balanced valuation will support a business across various business requirements.
The valuations team at Grant Thornton works with clients, from all sectors, on all their valuations needs.
We can support you whether you are a start-up, SME, large corporate, fund, asset manager or listed company as we cover the valuation of shares, businesses, intangible assets, infrastructure projects or complex financial instruments in accordance with international standards and best practice valuation guidelines.
Our Services - we provide valuations to assist in:
We provide investment appraisals, valuations to support asset-backed lending decisions, pre- and post-deal purchase price allocations, and fairness and other independent opinions required by boards, trustees, fiduciaries, regulators and other key stakeholders.
- Fairness opinions: We support board members, companies and funds with independent financial advice, providing fairness opinions in connection with mergers, sales, acquisitions, refinancing, re-organisations and related party transactions.
- Restructuring: Whether you are part of a company board, a CRO, independent director, financial adviser, security trustee or other stakeholder, we can support you in the effective financial restructuring of a distressed company by providing independent valuation analysis based on our experience of some of the largest European and domestic restructurings.
- Disputes: We can provide valuation support for disputes that include breach of contract, intellectual property disputes, negligence or any other instance where an expert determination is required. We can also support where you may require an expert determination of value under your company’s Articles of Association.
We have significant experience of having provided independent expert testimony before the High Court in Ireland, and as part of arbitration and mediation processes.
We cover valuations for Irish and international tax purposes. Our team provides our clients with valuations across a range of taxes, including Income Tax (including advice on Pay-As-You-Earn), Corporation Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Capital Acquisitions Tax, and Stamp Duty.
- Employee and management incentive (Employee Share Option Schemes, growth shares and similar equity instruments etc.);
- Private equity: Our valuations team advises private equity in respect of incentivising management teams in their portfolio companies through the acquisition of 'sweet equity' and other instruments;
- Transactions and reorganisations: we provide valuation advice relating to valuations of companies, businesses and intangible assets for corporation tax purposes; due diligence; and management incentive purposes;
- Negotiations with the Revenue Commissioners;
- International matters.
Drawing on our extensive financial reporting expertise, we consolidate newly acquired businesses into group accounts, including breaking out recognisable intangible assets from goodwill, in accordance with fair-value financial reporting and the latest accounting principles.
We discuss the critical elements of the valuation with management teams, allowing us to deliver these types of assignment cost-effectively. Our wide range of financial reporting valuations includes:
- Purchase price allocation under both IFRS 3 and FRS 102;
- Impairment reviews consistent with IAS 32, IAS39 and IFRS13;
- Share option schemes: We provide specialist experience in structuring and valuing share options for employees and directors;
- Fund administration including Net Asset Value reporting and transfers.
Intellectual Property (IP)
While the value of a company’s IP may be well known to management, shareholders and investors, other key stakeholders may want an independent expert view on its fair value. The valuation of IP can be complex and requires an objective and experienced view.
Our team of specialists has the technical knowledge to provide you and your stakeholders with guidance and advice required to value your IP and we have assisted many international organisation with major IP transfers to Ireland.
Our team provides valuations for financial reporting and transactional purposes to a wide variety of listed, private and alternative funds. Our team have direct experience working at funds, as well as providing valuation services to them, and we offer independent and objective valuations on all types of debt and equity investments across many sectors and strategies.
Private equity: Our team offers independent and objective valuations on all types of debt and equity-based on investments across many sectors and strategies, delivered in line with industry best practice, the International Private Equity and Venture Capital Valuation Guidelines (IPEV Valuation Guidelines) and your own valuation policies and procedures.
Debt: Our team is experienced in valuing portfolios of positions for debt funds, as well as larger portfolios of performing and non-performing loans for banks and larger credit institutions across a wide variety of sectors and strategies.
Why Grant Thornton
Our valuations team provides expert support and advice in disputes, for transactions and in support of regulatory and administrative matters, valuing businesses, listed and unlisted securities and intangible assets.
Our balanced approach offers unrivalled access to our senior people while also ensuring our deliverables are focused and provides sufficient information, clarity and support to all stakeholders.
Subscribe to our mailing list
Receive the latest insights, news and more direct to your inbox.