Mike joined the firm in 2013. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Mike worked for 11 years in the European financial services and risk consulting practices of two Big Four firms. He advised clients in Ireland and internationally on a range of I.T, security, fraud and risk issues. During this time, he acted in technology leadership roles for both UK and Ireland based financial institutions.
In addition, he has held technology roles in an Irish mobile telecommunications operator and a global management consultancy based in Germany.
Mike has worked on a wide variety of projects. These include:
- leading numerous security and fraud assessments, incident responses and investigations for a wide variety of clients including telecommunications, public sector, multinationals, regulators, asset managers and banks;
- advising on IT infrastructure, development, and change programmes;
- assessing IT governance across a wide variety of industry sectors;
- developing and assisting with the implementation of a security strategic transformation programme for a large mobile and fixed line telecommunications operator;
- developing a strategic web channel fraud prevention roadmap for the phone, mobile and online banking channels of a European retail bank;
- assessing the security and fraud prevention controls of a mobile banking solution for a Middle Eastern bank;
- advising on the vendor selection process for enterprise fraud management technology;
- leading the development of comprehensive security architecture for a retail bank’s payments infrastructure;
- developing an online customer authentication strategy for a large retail bank;
- designing and assisting with the implementation of a corporate security function for a global organisation; and
- leading a team of technical security professionals providing large scale penetration testing for global organisations.
- B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees in Physics from University College Cork (UCC)
- Ph.D. in Computational Physics at the Max Planck Institute for Solid State Research in Germany
- Certified Management Consultant