Patrick has worked as a forensic accountant for over 20 years, working full time on litigation support and forensic investigations in Ireland, the United Kingdom, Europe and the Middle East. Prior to this, Patrick spent over 15 years working full time on fraud, money laundering and criminal investigations in Ireland, and tax and fraud investigations in the United Kingdom.
Between 1991 and 1994, Patrick worked as an accountant on large-scale tax and fraud investigations with Coopers & Lybrand (now PricewaterhouseCoopers). From 1994 to 2003, Patrick was appointed a Financial Investigator attached to the Garda Bureau of Fraud Investigation working full-time in the Money Laundering Investigation Unit on large scale and complex fraud and criminal investigation. Between 2003 and 2005, Patrick was appointed to The Competition Authority (now the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) as a lead investigator in the Cartel Division with a specific focus on investigations involving price-fixing and hard core cartels.
As a forensic accountant, Patrick works full time on litigation support and forensic investigations involving commercial, criminal, civil and regulatory matters. Patrick has acted for Plaintiffs and Defendants in commercial and personal disputes and have given expert witness testimony in cases coming before the Courts in Ireland. The expert witness cases that he has been involved with the provision of forensic accounting support in civil litigation cases before the High Courts of Ireland and England, and in criminal proceedings in Ireland.
Patrick's specialist areas include:
- Expert witness on economic losses and dispute advisory services:
- Analysis of product and service costings
- Claims for loss of profits and consequential losses in complex commercial disputes
- Personal Injury
- Analysis and review of loss claims, and
- Professional Indemnity
- Fraud, money laundering and special purpose investigations:
- Asset tracing and analysis of transactions
- Analysis of accounting entries and proper books of account,
- Investigations and reviews pursuant to the Protected Disclosure Act, 1994
- Compliance with requirements of Companies Acts, Regulations and other legislation
- Regulatory reviews
- Whistle-blowing investigations and reviews
Patrick has provided lectures to the Law Society of Ireland, the Institute of Certified Public Accountants on the Diploma in Forensic Investigation. He has also provided training and presentations to Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI) and Chartered Association of Certified Accountants (ACCA) in relation to the topic of anti-money laundering (AML) and forensic accounting and investigations. During 2021, he provided training to the Central Bank of the United Arab Emirates in relation to reviews, investigations and anti-money laundering procedures.
- Degree in Accounting & Finance, Dublin City University
- Member of the Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- MBA from Dublin City University (DCU).
- Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Accounting and Finance
- Post Graduate Diploma in EC Competition Law from Kings College, London
- Licentiate member of the Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland (LCOI)
- • Master in Business Administration, Dublin City University
- • Post Graduate Diploma in EC Competition Law, Kings College, London
- • Practicing Licentiate of the Association of Compliance Officers in Ireland
- • Associate Member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners