Michael joined Grant Thornton in 2001 and has advised on some of the firm’s largest transactions to date.
He specialises in advising on buying and selling companies, raising finance and company valuations. He advises on the development and implementation of strategies to enhance and realise shareholder value, including situations where the company is experiencing financial stress.
With over twenty years' corporate finance and private equity experience Michael has led a wide range of transaction types and sizes in a broad variety of industries providing creative solutions for the clients.
Michael has led a number of mergers and acquisitions including:
- representing the joint administrators in respect of the sale of Quinn Insurance Limited (under administration);
- disposal of a private hospital and nursing home to a private equity group;
- €36 million sale of Moyglare Limited;
- advising the vendor on sale of Easy Access to Siteserv Plc (€26 million);
- advising the vendor on Tekno Surgical to Sicon Limited; and
- advising the vendors of U-Store-It on sale to HSBC Private Equity.
Michael’s recent advisory assignments include:
- acting as Monitoring Trustee to the European Commission in respect of two leading Irish financial institutions;
- providing independent business review advice to banking syndicates in respect of large and complex corporate debtors;
- providing independent business review services to NAMA in respect of debtors' business plans with PAR debt in range of €200 million to €1 billion;
- feasibility reviews and option papers for several financial institutions;
- due diligence services for plcs, financial institutions and private equity investors;
- providing IBR services to a number of financial institutions;
- advisor to U-Store-It on its €30 million expansion plan;
- enterprise valuation for AIM listed entity with operations across UK and Ireland and mainland Europe;
- pre-examination share valuation of a group of companies across jurisdictions for leading player in the Irish construction sector;
- acting as expert witness on IT company valuation before the Irish High Court; and
- subsidiary valuation for examiner of group servicing the pharmaceutical sector in Ireland for presentation to the High Court.
- Fellow of Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- Bachelor of Commerce (BComm) from the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)