Catherine is a senior energy/sustainability specialist with 15 years global experience, who joined Grant Thornton in 2021 to lead the sustainability offering in Financial Services. Prior to joining the firm, she worked for 13 years with FTSE listed Tullow Oil, holding both technical and non-technical roles with responsibility for portfolio management, business performance and risk, working extensively with multidisciplinary teams and increasingly focusing on ESG issues.
She holds a Ph.D. in Geology from Trinity College Dublin, a science integral to the understanding of climate change, a Business Sustainability Management qualification from the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership and is a GRI certified sustainability professional. Catherine is skilled in sustainability, transitional risk, scenario planning and working cross functionally to deliver integrated products. In her most recent role, she led non-technical risk identification and mitigation strategies for multi million dollar investments in South America, embedding them into ‘business as usual’ operations. She is now applying her industry experience to the financial sector, with a particular focus on banking and the risks and opportunities the transition to a low carbon economy presents.
Her experience includes:
- Project Lead for ECB supervised bank developing an action plan to address ECB climate change and environmental risk expectations and specific JST feedback. This included providing guidance on ESG materiality assessment, risk management frameworks and green product development (European Retail Bank).
- Applicability assessment of a range of EU sustainability related regulation including NFRD, SFDR, EU Taxonomy and draft CSRD (European Retail Bank)
- Lead on long term scenario planning for flagship exploration program in Guyana, and multiple New Country Entries as South America and Africa External Affairs Manager, Tullow Oil;
- Identifying and mitigating cross discipline risk within a traditionally siloed structure in her role and Business, Performance and Risk Manager, Exploration Tullow Oil South America and Africa;
- B.A. Mod in Natural Science
- Ph.D. in Geology from Trinity College Dublin
- Business Sustainability Management qualification from the Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership
- GRI certified sustainability professional