John joined Grant Thornton in 2014 as a Partner and heads up the firm’s Media and Entertainment Practice. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, John was with a large mid-tier Dublin accountancy and business advisory practice where he was a tax partner.
John has over 20 years commercial experience in providing tax advice and advisory services to individuals and corporates across a broad range of issues and tax heads - with a particular focus on the media and entertainment sector in Ireland and abroad.
He has particular experience in film and television projects having raised finance and advised on a broad range of transactions involving numerous large international television series, animation series for the US market and numerous feature films, including: Vikings, Ripper Street, Camelot, Moone Boy, Frank and The Guard.
John has been credited with financing and producing over 100 projects on IMDB.
John has advised and financed many transactions including:
- raising over €500 million in Section 481 finance across over 250 individual film, television and animation projects in the last 10 years;
- financing the two largest television transactions to shoot in Ireland;
- providing corporate finance advice on numerous contract discounting and gap finance transactions; and
- advising on a broad range of business, acquisition/disposal and strategic issues to media and entertainment companies all over the world.
John is supported by a team of highly trained and fully-accredited tax, audit and payroll professionals. The Grant Thornton Media and Entertainment team provide a broad range of services to the media and entertainment sector including:
- company secretarial;
- corporate finance; and
While remaining focussed on his role as Head of Media and Entertainment in Ireland, John also works as Global Leader of Media, working closely with other international Grant Thornton Media partners in our member firms to enhance the services provided to our clients. Our global network is well known in the sector and has a passionate and personal interest in it.
- Qualified Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA)
- Member of the Irish Taxation Institute (ITI)