Gavin joined Grant Thornton in 2014 and was appointed Partner in the FAAS business unit in January 2022.
Gavin has managed international projects across a number of accounting disciplines including:
- statutory accounts preparation;
- internal audit;
- tax compliance; and
- statutory audit.
Management of these projects entailed leading international teams to ensure all targets were met with regard to quality and timeliness of deliverables.
Gavin spent 2 years based in the US on a full time basis operating from the Greater Bay Area on the West Coast. While operating in the US, Gavin worked as relationship Director for a number of multinational clients. He has significant audit experience having completed statutory audits on small to large entities, and groups, across a variety of industry sectors including manufacturing, telecommunications, childcare, construction, not for profit organisations, insurance, internet, aviation and real estate. Gavin leads global statutory audit engagements for multinational clients operating with central finance functions. In these engagements, Gavin designs tailored audit plans to deliver efficiency through centralised procedures complimented with the required support from the Grant Thornton International network.
Gavin is focused on technical financial reporting matters and is a member of Chartered Accountants Ireland’s Financial Reporting Technical Committee. He has worked on a number of non-audit engagements for multinational clients. Some of which are summarised below:
- Gavin completed a project to prepare special purpose financial statements for a multinational financial services group. These financial statements were used to support a restructuring of that group. He reported directly to the Vice President of Group Financial Reporting and dealt with all queries raised by external auditors. A significant number of financial statements were required in a short period of time to meet required deadlines.
- Gavin also assisted with an internal audit of reconciliation controls applied by a listed company at their shared services centre in Dublin. This involved reporting findings and recommendations directly to senior management.
- Gavin led a team to deliver year end consolidated tax and deferred tax numbers for a multinational financial service group consisting of over 300 entities.
In addition to his practice experience, Gavin has significant exposure to industry. For an eighteen month period he acted as financial controller for a large manufacturing company, reporting directly to the Board of Directors with responsibility for preparation of management accounts, year end statutory financial statements and the implementation of improved monitoring and control procedures in the finance function.
Gavin’s skills include:
- coordination of international compliance assignments;
- statutory audit;
- preparation of statutory accounts; and
- project management.
- BComm and Masters in Accounting and Finance
- Member of Chartered Accountants Ireland
- Green belt in Lean Six Sigma