Charlie trained with Grant Thornton in Belfast having joined the Firm in 1992.
Post qualification Charlie moved as a Senior Consultant to Capita Management Consultants in Belfast. In this role he undertook a range of corporate finance and consultancy assignments for a range of private and public sector clients. Assignments included M&A, due diligence, fundraising, grant support, economic appraisals and evaluations.
In May 2009 Charlie re-joined Grant Thornton in Belfast to build its corporate finance department. In the time since appointment Charlie has been involved in working with some of the major corporates in Northern Ireland as well as supporting a range of SME businesses with their growth and exit strategies. As well as undertaking M&A, due diligence and fundraising activity, Charlie has worked with a number of financial institutions conducting reviews and successfully implementing turnaround plans. Charlie has an established and active contact network of banks, private equity providers, solicitors and governmental representatives.
Between 2006 and 2011 Charlie was an active member of the Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce Council and acted as Chair of the Enterprise and Finance Sub Committee for 2 years. In this role he lobbied on behalf of the Chamber and its members in relation to key economic policies.
Charlie currently is running the Funding for Growth Programme in Northern Ireland on behalf of Intertrade Ireland and is involved as a Panel Member with the BVCA Awards process for the Northern Ireland region.
Significant transactional experience having worked on over 80 transactions within Grant Thornton. Clients ranging for plc clients to SME businesses
Charlie specialises in the following areas:
- advising on acquisitions/management buy-outs;
- advising on corporate disposals;
- fundraising with banks, private equity, mezzanine funders and Invest NI;
- advising on strategic planning issues and feasibility studies;
- financial appraisals;
- business reviews and transaction support assignments; and
- managing the turnaround of a business and making it profitable.
Whist Charlie has been involved in a wide range of sectors over the years he has specific specialism in:
- Bachelor of Science degree (BSc) from Queens University
- Master of Accountancy (MAcc) from Queens University
- Member of Chartered Accountants Ireland (CAI)
- Corporate Finance qualification from ICAEW