Stephen is a Director in our Financial Services Advisory practice and is a subject matter expert in the area of Financial Crime Compliance with over 14 years’ experience across multiple financial sectors including Life Assurance, Pensions, Investments, Funds, Wholesale Banking and Retail Banking. He previously worked for the Central Bank of Ireland supervising credit and financial institutions in their adherence to the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Act 2010 (as amended). This included inspecting, guiding and challenging firms to ensure strong governance principles and effective risk management frameworks, polices and controls were in place to detect and prevent Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing.
Stephen has devoted his career to date in the Financial Crime, Anti-Money Laundering and Counter Terrorist Financing space within the financial services industry. Highlighted below are a number of roles held:
- Irish Pillar Bank – Deputy Money Laundering Reporting Officer (MLRO), holding the Interim MLRO role for 9+ months where he was responsible for the review and update of the Bank’s AML/CFT & Sanctions framework. He provided strong AML/CFT guidance, challenge and technical expertise to the Compliance team, Head of Compliance and Senior Management across the business.
- Central Bank of Ireland (Anti-Money Laundering Division) – Lead AML/CFT/FS On-Site Supervisor who co-ordinated AML/CFT/FS on-site inspections of credit and financial institutions across Ultra High/High, Medium-High and Medium-Low and Low risk sectors in Ireland. Sectors inspected include Banking (Retail & Wholesale), Funds, Life Assurance, Payment Service Providers, Retail Intermediaries. Deliver detailed post inspection reports and findings letters ensuring a consistent high quality of content and evidence to support findings.
- Irish Life Insurer – AML/CFT Compliance Manager who took the lead role in the design, development and implementation of an AML/CFT framework and the design and development of an AML/CFT Risk Assessment.
Stephen began his career in financial services as a financial planning consultant in a Dublin based brokerage from 2008 – 2009. From 2010 – 2015, he held a number of AML/CFT specific roles across Operations and Compliance in Standard Life International (International Bonds), Citibank (Correspondent Banking) and State Street (Fund Administration).
- Professional Certificate in Financial Crime Prevention (CFCPP)
- Professional Certificate in Conduct Risk, Culture & Operational Risk Management
- Professional Diploma in Compliance (LCOI) and Professional Certificate in Compliance.